Canonical’s job vacancy, Career and Recruitment
Job title : Engineering Manager – Ubuntu Systems Management
Job Location : Lagos
Deadline : October 03, 2022
Quick Recommended Links
- This is an engineering management role to lead the reboot of our Landscape systems management solution for Ubuntu.
- Ubuntu is growing rapidly in the enterprise, with estates expanding from cloud, to bare metal servers, to vSphere clusters, and of course desktops and devices. Ubuntu is easy to deploy and configure, one node at a time, but it’s difficult to know where you stand on policy and compliance, patch management, or access control across a large estate.
- Ubuntu used to be under the radar in the enterprise, but it is now becoming an official platform for many companies.
- Those enterprises very much want a high quality way to manage their Ubuntu estate.
- We started work on Landscape many years ago, and the current generation of the service reflects the choices of the day.
- We now have the opportunity to invest significantly in a team to bring a fresh new vision for large-scale Ubuntu estate management to the project.
- That doesn’t make this a greenfield opportunity – we have a system that serves thousands of deployments – but we know we want to step back and give it a big new push, letting go of some things that are no longer so important, and embracing a range of new priorities.
- This role is the critical engineering leadership role for that mission.
- Today we use Python, PostgreSQL, RabbitMQ, HAProxy, and have a ReactJS front end. In other web services projects we use more Golang these days.
- Our next wave of Landscape engineering is an opportunity to raise the bar on SAAS and on-prem solution technologies, architectures, patterns and operations.
- Our goal is to make it easy for enterprises to own a few Landscape instances that serve their global estate, and to be able to apply policy and know intuitively where they stand – globally – in a very complex world of mixed Ubuntu versions, substrates and flavours.
- Engineering managers at Canonical bring both technical and management skills to the leadership of their teams.
- You will work closely with product managers, and produce an engineering roadmap with ambitious and achievable goals.
- A successful applicant will be capable of growing a team of engineers, collaborating with other engineering and business teams at Canonical, and providing periodic updates about successes and areas of improvement.
- As an engineering manager at Canonical you must be technically strong, but your responsibility is to run an effective team and develop the colleagues you manage.
- You are expected to help them grow as engineers, do important work, do it outstandingly well, find professional and personal satisfaction, and work well with colleagues and community.
- Technical leadership experience and a background in software engineering are necessary prerequisites for this role.
- You will be expected to lead, challenge, and develop strong engineers, positively influence the culture, facilitate technical delivery, and work with your team on strategy and execution.
- We work in Python and Golang, and expect engineering managers to be fluent in the language, architecture and components that their team uses. Code reviews and architectural leadership are part of the job.
- As manager, the commitment to healthy engineering practices, documentation, quality and performance optimisation are equally important technical responsibilities, as is the requirement for fair and clear management, and the obligation to ensure a high performing team.
- Build and lead a team of engineers in your region
- Develop talent through coaching, mentoring, feedback, and hands-on career development
- Demonstrate sound engineering principles and directly contribute toward your team’s goals
- Set and manage expectations with other engineering teams, management, and external stakeholders
- Lead modern, agile software development practices
- Ensure a healthy, collaborative engineering culture in line with the company values
- Be an active part of the leadership team and collaborate with other leaders in the organisation
- Build automated, highly reliable image delivery, testing and publication pipelines
- Engage with many other teams at Canonical, as well as the open source community and commercial partners
- Work from home with global travel 4-6 weeks per year for internal and external events
Valued skills and experience
- You have a Bachelor’s or equivalent in Computer Science, STEM or similar degree
- You love to mentor, develop and grow people, and have a track record of doing it
- You are knowledgeable and passionate about software development
- You are focused on success and the delivery of timely, high quality software
- You have experience and commitment to agile development methodologies
- Software development experience in Python or Golang
- Effective written and verbal communication skills
- Practical experience with Linux system administration.
What Canonical Offers
- Personal learning and development budget
- Annual compensation review
- Recognition rewards
- Annual leave
- Priority Pass for travel.
How to Apply for this Offer
Interested and Qualified candidates should Click here to Apply online