Job title : WASH Officer
Job Location : Adamawa
Deadline : March 09, 2024
Quick Recommended Links
These strategic locations have allowed NRC greater reach from the north and south parts of the North-East and North Central region and allowed NRC to contribute to bridging the gap between humanitarian aid and development cooperation, including by focusing on equitable access to basic services and strengthening the rights of displaced people and returnees. In addition to the Country Office and the above-mentioned Area Offices, NRC has sub-office structures in Dikwa, Monguno, Biu, Mubi, Pulka, and Gwoza.
We are looking for people who are passionate about helping refugees and people forced to flee.
If you are those people, the Norwegian Refugee Council in Nigeria is looking for an enthusiastic, passionate WASH Officer to join our team in Yola, Adamawa State.
Role and responsibilities
- Ensure adherence with NRC policies, tools, handbooks and guidelines
- Implement delegated WaSH project portfolio according to plan of action
- Prepare and develop status reports as required by management
- Ensure proper filing of documents
- Promote and share ideas for technical improvement
- Ensure that projects target beneficiaries most in need, and explore and asses new and better ways to assist
- Supervision of WaSH assistants
- Coordinate the WASH activities according to strategy, proposals, budgets and plans
- Assist the WASH Project Coordinator in all aspects of WASH programs planning, implementation, monitoring and evaluation
- Break down the annual operational plans into weekly, monthly and quarterly implementation plans
- Develop technical specifications and bills of quantities (BOQ) for works for all water infrastructure and sanitation facilities
- Assess the wash training needs of the community and assists in the development of appropriate training materials and plans
- Conducts water quality testing and sanitary inspection at water points
- Provide technical assistance to the WASH Program Development Manager and local counterparts on issues of WASH information and communication strategies
- Assists in the establishment, and training of water point committees as well as monitoring their performance
- Assists in the compilation of weekly and monthly wash reports, program documents, project proposals, and budgets
- Ensure that procurement, development and distribution of materials and equipment are timely and according to procedures.
- Performs any other duties as requested by the WASH Project Coordinator.
Generic professional competencies: Context/ Specific skills, knowledge and experience:
- Knowledge of the context of Northeast Nigeria
- Experience with start-up activities
- Fluency in one or more of the national/regional languages (Hausa and Kanuri preferred)
- Higher diploma in Civil or Water Engineering or Public Health (BAC+5) minimum
- Minimum 3 years’ experience from working with wash projects in a humanitarian/recovery context.
- Experience from working with social work and/or with distribution of humanitarian assistance is an advantage.
- Previous 2 years work experience in community based Water and Sanitation programs; Work experience with an INGO is desirable
- Must have knowledge of emergency Water supply, Hygiene, Sanitation requirements and protocols
- Familiarity with international minimum standards of Water and Sanitation delivery (i.e., SPHERE) is an advantage
- Excellent communication skills – written and spoken – in English required.
- Must be willing to work as a team member, take direction, and share technical skills with colleagues and counterparts
- Computer literacy in word processing and spreadsheets is required,
- Familiarity with AutoCAD, GPS, Arc Gis and Google Earth is strongly desirable
- Experience from working as a Project Officer in a humanitarian/recovery context
- Previous experience from working in complex and volatile contexts
- Documented results related to the position’s responsibilities
- Some knowledge of English.
- Planning and delivering results
- Empowering and building trust
- Communicating with impact and respect
- Handling insecure environment
How to Apply for this Offer
Interested and Qualified candidates should Click here to Apply Now
- Building / Construction jobs
- WASH Officer jobs