Job title : WASH Intern
Job Location : Borno
Deadline : September 22, 2023
Quick Recommended Links
Goal / Purpose
- The local Internship program is one of SI’s strategic focus on enhancing sustainability of programming through localization approach. Localization is also a growing focus of the Humanitarian Response Mission in Northeast Nigeria.
- Besides internship program, other localization measures pursued by SI include initiatives to reform WASH Management committees to be able to manage water and sanitation facilities more effectively, linkage of the WMCs to local service providers for sourcing of first line repair services and parts, more structured collaboration with Local WASH authorities, and increased partnerships with local NGOs.
- Through the local internship program, fresh graduates from local academic institutions in the Northwest shall be exposed to on job training opportunities in their fields of academic study through field and desk instruction, enabling them to acquire their first on-job experience in the humanitarian sector, hence positioning them to compete for start level positions within humanitarian and WASH sector agencies in general.
- The Intern shall be based at SI field Office in Ngala, Monguno or RRM unit in Mainduguri and shall learn on the job by performing duties comprising water supply, sanitation, and hygiene promotion and at the level of Watsan and Hygiene Officer.
- The Team Leader shall deploy and shuffle the interns under their charge to be able to cover 40% of their time on water supply, 30-35% sanitation, 20% on Hygiene Promotion and 5-8% on induction, assessments, and reporting.
- All subsectors shall entail engagement with WASH Management Committees (WMC)
List of Main Tasks
Setting up the Activities / Control and Supervision.
Implementation of Water and Sanitation Activities:
- Conduct technical field assessments of water supply and sanitation facilities new / existing.
- Prepare water supply and sanitation design packages (Computation, Drawings, BOQ, Narrative)
- Supervision of water supply and sanitation construction works-daily workers and contractors
- Training Daily workers.
- Water Quality treatment and monitoring.
- Operation and Maintenance follow up of water supply and sanitation facilities.
- Coordination with WASH Management Committees.
Implementation of Hygiene Promotion Activities:
- Hygiene Promotion assessment; KAP (Knowledge, Attitude, Practice) survey
- Training Community Hygiene Promoters
- Preparation of Information Education, Communication (IEC) materials.
- On job learning on supervision and training of Community Hygiene Promoters (CHP).
- Oversee Non- Food Items (NFI) distribution.
- Cholera prevention and response activities- real or simulation – CATI Technique.
- Raise material requisition to the Team leader.
- Prepare weekly sitrep to Team Leader.
- Archiving Means of Verification (MoV) documentation
- Other relevant duties assigned by WASH Team leader.
- Organizational Chart Position (Reporting and Functional Relationships)
Line Manager: WASH Team Leader
- Coordination with: WASH Team, Admin Team, Watsan/Hygiene Officers from sister agencies.
- Personal Status: A Nigerian (IDP or Host, female or male) and resident of Ngala, Monguno or Maiduguri MMC / Jere LGAs; Has no working nor prior internship experience with other organization.
- Successful candidates should be able to join the program at the SI office within their LGA of residence on 3rd October 2023
- Professional experience: Candidate should have no working or prior internship experience.
- The candidate should prove possession of a basic smartphone or computer tablet;
- Good English language communication skills (oral and written); Competency in the local language(s) spoken within the LGA;
- Highly motivated, self-driven and resilient.
- Willing to work in security sensitive and diverse multi-cultural contexts; Women are highly encouraged to apply.
- Graduated from a local University (B.Sc or Diploma) in 2019-2023 in Civil Engineering, Water Engineering, Geology or Public Health Engineering or Environmental Health related discipline. (A Degree or Diploma Certificate shall be presented as proof of graduation).
- HND / B.Sc graduates shall posse an NYSC Certificate (or excemption certificate).
- Proficiency in computer and IT (MS Word, Excel, Power Point, email, Zoom, skype).
How to Apply for this Offer
Interested and Qualified candidates should Click here to Apply Now
- Graduate Trainee/ Internship /siwes jobs
- WASH Intern jobs