Job title : Senior Procurement and Contracting Officer
Job Location : Borno
Deadline : November 24, 2023
Quick Recommended Links
Program / Department Summary
- Mercy Corps has been present in Nigeria since 2012, focusing its interventions on humanitarian assistance, economic development, and conflict mitigation. With the ongoing insurgency in Northeast Nigeria causing the displacement of millions of individuals, Mercy Corps started its humanitarian response in 2014 to address the rising humanitarian needs.
- As the crisis has persisted, Mercy Corps’ strategy has also expanded to address the root causes of the conflict and seek to build the long-term resilience of communities with integrated programs focusing on governance, the recovery of markets and livelihoods, social cohesion and social protection, youth empowerment, and local conflict management.
- Operations Department provides key support to the entire country program in procurement, asset management, warehouse management, fleet management and facilities & office management for successful program implementation.
General Position Summary
- The Senior procurement and Contracting officer is to ensure the efficient and systematic procurement of goods and services; effective development, monitoring of contracts; development of transparent tendering schedules and good record keeping; providing advice on best methods of procurement and contract design; developing best practice in relation to commissioning and procurement; advising on policy and procedure.
Essential Job Responsibilities
- Develop and advise on procurement, commissioning, contract administration and management strategies. Identify opportunities for better procurement and to develop modern procurement and contract management practices.
- Engage and support managers by providing guidance on technical procurement matters, including advising on appropriate procurement mechanisms, preparing tender documentation, undertaking tender evaluation including the pre-qualification of suppliers, checking contractual terms/conditions, interviewing, liaising, and negotiating with potential suppliers, responding to procurement challenges and producing outcome reports for management.
- Support in identifying opportunities through procurement routes to deliver savings, maximize income and deliver continued improvement through the use of its resources.
- Ensure and develop corporate adherence to best practice contract monitoring procedures.
- Provide periodic reports to Management Team outlining contract, procurement and monitoring activity, contractual performance aspects.
- Ensure Mercy Corps is compliant with the Nigeria law in relation to its procurement activity With donor regulations
- in conjunction with the Legal teams, to ensure that there is a transparent register of contracts and a retendering work schedule covering all significant value transactions for Mercy Corps Nigeria.
- Promote good administration throughout the Mercy Corps in respect of procurement and contract management including producing procurement and contract information to meet the requirements of the System Ownership
- Undertake the system owner role for the e-procurement and contract management systems, including development, testing and implementation of upgrades, resolving queries and providing user training.
- Working closely with Program, Administration, Finance and Logistics the Senior Procurement and Contracting Officer is instrumental in supporting program activities through his/her services.
- The Senior Procurement and Contracting Officer will conduct himself/herself both professionally and personally in such a manner as to bring credit to Mercy Corps and to not jeopardize its humanitarian mission.
- Coordinate daily MCN procurement activities.
- Regularly produce purchase status and completed purchases reports using the Ongoing PR Master List and PR Master List.
- Ensure that Mercy Corps’ procurement activities are legal and moral.
- Enforce proper use of procurement ceilings and approval procedures.
- Carryout the procurement of goods, works and services for all the PRs as per Mercy Corps standards and formats.
- Carryout the procurement of national consultant’s services (all values) as per Mercy Corps standards and formats.
- Oversee the establishment of various Master Agreements (MPAs and MSAs) for commonly used items as per Mercy Corps standards and formats.
- Assist in the maintenance of thorough procurement files. Ensure that the procurement filing system is in place and in accordance with the Procurement filing procedures as outlined in the FP3.
- Assist the P&L management and office staff with procurement activities, as required.
- Coordinate with the Finance Department to ensure that payments to vendors are made on-time and without any unnecessary strain on the financial systems of MC.
- Assist P&L Management with asset management. Identify assets during the course of procurement and notify the Asset Controller on receipts of assets.
- Maintain file on market prices for commonly bought items.
- Perform any other reasonable duties that deem necessary as assigned by the supervisor.
- Reviewing bids from prospective vendors, and awarding contracts based on price, quality of work, past performance, and other factors.
- Negotiating contract terms and conditions with vendors to ensure that they are in the best interest of the organization.
- Supervising contractors to ensure that they are performing their duties efficiently and effectively.
- Reviewing bids from potential suppliers of materials needed by the organization to ensure that they are competitive.
- Conducting audits to ensure that vendors are complying with the terms of their contracts.
- Coordinating with other departments within an organization to ensure that contracts are effective.
- Reviewing and approving invoices from vendors to ensure that they accurately reflect services rendered or goods delivered.
- Reviewing contract proposals from vendors to determine if they meet the needs of the organization.
- Create and sustain a work environment of mutual respect where team members strive to achieve excellence.
- Promote accountability, communicate expectations, and provide constructive feedback via regular performance reviews.
- Supervise, hire, and orient new team members as necessary.
- Provide team members with information, tools, and other resources to improve performance and reach objectives.
- Contribute to country team-building efforts, help team members identify problem-solving options and ensure the integration of all team members into relevant decision-making processes.
- As part of our commitment to organizational learning and in support of our understanding that learning organizations are more effective, efficient and relevant to the communities they serve, we expect all team members to commit 5% of their time to learning activities that benefit Mercy Corps as well as themselves.
Accountability to Beneficiaries
- Mercy Corps team members are expected to support all efforts toward accountability, specifically to our beneficiaries and to international standards guiding international relief and development work, while actively engaging beneficiary communities as equal partners in the design, monitoring, and evaluation of our field projects.
- Directly supervises the Procurement Officers.
- Accountable for following Mercy Corps Field Procurement Policies and Procedures (FP3), the MC Code of conduct regarding procurement activities and MC Conflict of Interest policy.
- Reports Directly To: Procurement Manager
- Work Directly With: Operations Team, Finance Team, Co-ordinates with Mercy Corps program and operations staff regarding procurement planning and activities.
Knowledge and Experience
- Degree in a relevant Business field is desired, Economics, Accounting, Law.
- 2-3 years of experience in large scale supply chain management and/ or international business, contracting /contract management
- Strong organizational skills: ability to interact effectively with international and national personnel. Excellent oral and written English skills.
- High level of computer skills on MS Office programs.
- A demonstrated ability to multi-task and process information into action as to not delay program activities.
- A clear understanding of procurement ethics and donor compliance is essential.
- Certification in procurement/supply chain management is an advantage.
- Knowledge of Sphere standards and other training in humanitarian response preferred.
- The Senior Procurement and contracting Officer is conscientious with an excellent sense of judgement. S/he has the ability to work simultaneously on multiple tasks and a willingness and ability to work effectively with a wide variety of people. They can work as part of a team and coordinate with project personnel.
- Note: The above job description sets out the main responsibilities of the Senior Procurement and Contracting Officer but should not be regarded as an exhaustive list of the duties that may be required.
- As duties and responsibilities change and develop the job description will be reviewed and be subject to amendment in consultation with the post holder during the Personal Development Review process.
Diversity, Equity & Inclusion:
- Achieving our mission begins with how we build our team and work together. Through our commitment to enriching our organization with people of different origins, beliefs, backgrounds, and ways of thinking, we are better able to leverage the collective power of our teams and solve the world’s most complex challenges.
- We strive for a culture of trust and respect, where everyone contributes their perspectives and authentic selves, reaches their potential as individuals and teams, and collaborates to do the best work of their lives. We recognize that diversity and inclusion is a journey, and we are committed to learning, listening and evolving to become more diverse, equitable and inclusive than we are today.
Equal Employment Opportunity:
- Mercy Corps is an equal opportunity employer that does not tolerate discrimination on any basis. We actively seek out diverse backgrounds, perspectives, and skills so that we can be collectively stronger and have a sustained global impact.
- We are committed to providing an environment of respect and psychological safety where equal employment opportunities are available to all.
- We do not engage in or tolerate discrimination on the basis of race, colour, gender identity, gender expression, religion, age, sexual orientation, national or ethnic origin, disability (including HIV/AIDS status), marital status, military veteran status or any other protected group in the locations where we work.
Safeguarding & Ethics:
- Mercy Corps is committed to ensuring that all individuals we come into contact with through our work, whether team members, community members, program participants or others, are treated with respect and dignity.
- We are committed to the core principles regarding the prevention of sexual exploitation and abuse laid out by the UN Secretary-General and IASCand have signed on to the Interagency Misconduct Disclosure Scheme. We will not tolerate child abuse, sexual exploitation, abuse, or harassment by or of our team members.
- As part of our commitment to a safe and inclusive work environment, team members are expected to conduct themselves in a professional manner, respect local laws and customs, and adhere to the Mercy Corps Code of Conduct Policies and values at all times. Team members are required to complete mandatory Code of Conduct e-learning courses upon hire and on an annual basis.
How to Apply for this Offer
Interested and Qualified candidates should Click here to Apply Now
- NGO/Non-Profit jobs
- Senior Procurement and Contracting Officer jobs