African Union’s job vacancy, Career and Recruitment
Job title : Senior Policy Officer, Gender, Peace and Security jobs in Not specified
Job Location : Not specified
Deadline : 21-Feb-22
Quick Recommended Links
Requisition ID: 964
Location: Cairo, Egypt
Reports to: Principal Programme Management, Monitoring, and Evaluation
Directorate / Department: African Union Centre for Post-conflict Reconstruction and Development (AUC-PCRD)
Division: Programme and Research
Number of Direct Reports: 0
Number of Indirect Reports: 0
Job Grade: P3
Contract Type: Regular
Purpose of Job
- To spearhead the development and implementation of gender, peace and security aspects of the AUC-PCRD誷 PCRD and peacebuilding initiatives, programmes and projects, including overall policy and legal frameworks, implementation strategies, operational modalities and action plans, taking into account continental, regional and national programme priorities and targets.
- The incumbent will provide senior management with analysis and guidance on gender, peace and security issues and facilitate the mainstreaming of a gender perspective into the programmes of the AUC-PCRD.
- He or she is also responsible for providing strategic analysis and guidance and managerial support on gender, peace and security to ensure overall development, execution and monitoring of the AUC-PCRD誷 mandate to ensure effective implementation of the AU Gender, Peace and Security mandates and continental policies on gender equality.
- Spearhead the development and implementation of gender, peace and security tools for the AUC-PCRD誷 PCRD and the AU誷 peacebuilding initiatives, programmes and projects, including overall policy and legal frameworks, implementation strategies, operational modalities and action plans as well as the development of standard tools, systems and procedures for efficient data collection and reporting.
- Manage all activities within the gender, peace and security portfolio and work closely with Staff to ensure successful outcomes of annual plans of work and other expected results.
- Contribute to policy development on gender equality and women誷 empowerment within the context of the AU PCRD Policy framework implementation as well as other relevant policies, decisions and declarations of Policy Organs.
- Ensure gender, peace and security and gender equality and women誷 empowerment are appropriately reflected in policy and programming across the organisation.
- Develop standard tools, systems and procedures for efficient data collection and reporting for short- and long-term implementation and draft monitoring plans, setting priorities and performance measures to assist internal and external stakeholders in their progress towards the achievement of PCRD and peacebuilding implementation targets on gender, peace and security.
- Spearhead the development and implementation of gender, peace and security aspects of the AU誷 PCRD and peacebuilding initiatives, programmes and projects, including overall policy and legal frameworks, implementation strategies, operational modalities and action plans, taking into account continental, regional and national programme priorities and targets.
- Coordinate the implementation of all activities within the gender, peace and security portfolio of the AUC-PCRD and work closely with all Units and Divisions to ensure successful outcomes of annual plan of work and other expected results.
- Contribute to policy development on gender equality and women誷 empowerment within the AUC-PCRD and ensure gender equality and women誷 empowerment and influence policy discussions at continental and global levels through providing substantive technical written inputs that consolidate and advance understanding of the AU誷 work and key policy challenges and responses relating to gender on the continent.
- Support the implementation of UN Security Council Resolutions on Women, Peace and Security, the AU Gender Policy, the AU PCRD Policy and related policies, strategies, declarations and decisions of Policy Organs.
- Undertake research and collect data on issues related to gender, peace and security, facilitate the collection and exchange of information and prepare various written outputs, e.g. draft background papers, analysis, sections of reports and studies, inputs to publications, etc. and draft, collate and edit specified inputs for all reports and documentation on gender, peace and security.
- Stay abreast of developments in the field of policy research and practice and develop, manage and implement research activities in support of the AU PCRD Policy誷 gender, peace and security agenda.
- Implement initiatives that boost sharing of experiences and cross-organisational learning and strategy design to advance the gender, peace and security agenda and ensure all issues are comprehensively addressed.
- Analyse annual plans of work within the Commission, RECs/RMs, Member States and Policy Organs to identify key entry points for collaboration and support on policy issues and organise policy related consultations and dialogue; Informed by best practices and lessons learned, track progress, the lack thereof and prevailing risks and threats and provide guidance on strategies to further the AU誷 gender equality goals.
- Assist in the drafting of funding applications and funding reports and prepare substantive policy guidance notes, deliver presentations and contribute to advocacy and communications materials highlighting trends and developments on gender equality and women誷 empowerment at continental, regional and national levels.
- Organise experts meetings, workshops and panel discussions to gather knowledge on emerging issues and trends and examine implementation of the AUC-PCRD誷 and the AU誷 policy commitments to gender equality and women誷 empowerment.
- Identify and advise on entry points for new initiatives for the AUC-PCRD to strengthen national and local capacities for gender equality and support the advancement of women誷 empowerment and gender equality.
- Liaise with key stakeholders from Member States, RECs/RMs, academia, civil society at the national and continental level, the private sector and key international actors to build and strengthen strategic alliances and partnerships on gender equality initiatives.
- Coordinate, as needed, with the AU Commission, other AU specialised technical agencies that have complementary mandates through participating in working-level mechanisms for gender, peace and security within the context of the AU PCRD Policy framework implementation; as well as coordinate with relevant national, regional and global institutions and non-governmental organisations, civil society organisations, the private sector, the media and the academia, faith-based organisations and traditional authorities among others.
- Provides technical expertise as required on strategies for gender mainstreaming, including expanding the capacity for gender analysis and designing gender-sensitive and responsive policies and programmes, provide substantive inputs to results based reporting and analysis and facilitate monitoring and reporting methodologies and benchmarking for all activities.
- Advise and make timely recommendations to senior management on identified programmes and project implementation strategies and targets, trouble shooting operational problems, through analysis, reports, review meetings, mentoring, training and capacity building, and field supervision visits.
- Perform any other related tasks as may be directed by the superviser.
Academic Requirements and Relevant Experience
- A Master’s Degree in International Relations, Humanities, Development Studies, Sociology Gender Studies, Law, Human Rights, Monitoring and Evaluation or similar studies with a minimum of 7 years of working experience and applied knowledge in the areas of gender, peace, and security, out of which 3 must be at expert level.
- Candidates with Bachelor’s Degree would be considered provided they poses 10 years in the above relevant fields of study with 3 years at expert level.
- Previous work experience in a peace operation and/or in a conflict or post-conflict context with knowledge of and strong networks within multilateral institutions and policymaking, as well as of the broader policy development and implementation system.
- Good knowledge of the African context and thorough conceptual knowledge and practice of the AU PCRD Policy and peacebuilding discourse is an added advantage.
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
- Strong analytical skills.
- Must have proven track record of outstanding report writing and oral communication abilities.
- Ability to work across business units / geographies; cultural sensitive environment.
- Proficiency in one of the AU official working languages (French, English, Portuguese, Arabic) and fluency in another AU language(s) is an added advantage.
- Strategic Insight.
- Developing others.
- Change Management
- Managing Risk.
- Building Relationship.
- Foster Accountability Culture.
- Learning Orientation.
- Communicating with Influence.
- Conceptual thinking.
- Job Knowledge and information sharing.
- Drive for result.
- Continuous improvement orientation.
Tenure Of Appointment
- The appointment will be made on a regular term contract for a period of three (3) years, of which the first twelve months shall be considered as a probationary period.
- Thereafter, the contract will be for a period of two years renewable, subject to satisfactory performance and deliverables.
- Proficiency in one of the AU working languages (Arabic, English, French, Portuguese, and Spanish) and fluency in another AU language is an added advantage.
- Indicative basic salary of US$ 37,453.00 (P3 Step1) per annum plus other related entitlements e.g. Post adjustment (48% of basic salary), Housing allowance US$ 19,103.64 (per annum), and education allowance (100% of tuition and other education-related expenses for every eligible dependent up to a maximum of US$ 10,000.00 per child per annum), for internationally recruited staff and a maximum of $3,300 per child per annum for locally recruited staff.
*NGO/Non-Profit jobs in Nigeria
*NGO/Non-Profit jobs in Not specified
*Senior Policy Officer, Gender, Peace and Security in Not specified
How to Apply for this Offer
Interested and Qualified Candidates should Click here to Apply online