Job title : Senior Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning (MEL) Officer
Job Location : Katsina
Deadline : October 15, 2023
Quick Recommended Links
General Position Summary
- This role will support the implementation of the EU-funded pilot program titled Conflict Mitigation and Community Reconciliation in Northwest Nigeria. The project will be implemented through a Consortium led by the International Organization for Migration (IOM), in partnership with Mercy Corps (MC), and the Center for Democracy and Development (CDD).
- Katsina has been experiencing multiple dimensions of conflict, including farmer-herder strife, and acts of Banditry. While the conflict has many factors, it is rooted in the increased competition over land tenure and mismanagement of natural resources. The lack of or unimplemented policy frameworks on land access, resource use, and weak dispute resolution mechanisms, as well as a broader absence of social protection, have created a vacuum contributing to lawlessness and conflict.
- The conflict had its epicentre in Zamfara, however, with a false narrative, the subsequent mobilization of vigilante groups along ethnic and community lines and impunity, and increased access to light weapons, the conflict escalated to Katsina. Coupled with repeated and lethal cycles of communal violence and wider human rights violations and abuses, especially against women and girls. This proposed pilot project will complement the Government’s efforts in conflict mitigation and community reconciliation by promoting an inclusive peace-building process in Jibia, Batsari, Danmusa, and Kankara LGAs in Katsina State.
- The project’s overall objective is to reduce community violence, promote locally-driven peace initiatives, and mitigate conflicts over natural resources in Katsina State of Northwest Nigeria.
- The project will contribute to strengthening the capacity of communities and local governments to manage their resources sustainably; reinforce their social cohesion; and build more resilient households and societies through the establishment of dialogue mechanisms inclusive of all social groups and authorities, provision of mental health and psychosocial support and the strengthening of the local governance system.
- The Senior Monitoring, Evaluation, and Learning (MEL) Officer is a key team member of Mercy Corps’ Program Performance and Quality (PaQ) unit. The unit exists to support program design, implementation, and utilization of information collected at different stages.
- The position holder will support the team with technical oversight planning and execution of monitoring and evaluation, ensuring quality by accepted standards, and providing essential feedback for learning, accountability, and decision-making.
- S/he will be responsible for providing internal capacity building for program staff on monitoring and evaluation activities as well as reviewing and developing timely and quality reports and the tools necessary to meet Mercy Corps and donor reporting requirements. S/he will coordinate, and support data collection and analysis activities facilitated by MEL Assistant and regularly provide technical oversight, problem-solving, and support.
Essential Job Responsibilities
Strategy and Design
- Contribute to adapting existing M&E systems to monitor and evaluate project activities and impact, by existing Mercy Corps DM&E guidelines.
- Ensure regular reporting to the Consortium MEL coordinator and assist in the coordination of Consortium MEL activities.
- Assist in program strategy design, planning, and implementation to ensure adherence to Mercy Corps’ Minimum Standards, including the use of standardized tools and indicators and documentation methodologies.
- Lead and support the design and implementation of assessments and other pre, ex-ante, and post-data collection and analysis.
- Support learning-to-action events and reflection sessions to analyze data for programmatic use and to document and incorporate lessons learned into program design, planning, and implementation.
Data Management and Quality Control
- Assist program teams to develop and maintain knowledge and information management systems to support data collection, reflection, analysis, and reporting needs.
- Ensure quality control procedures and accuracy of entered data and compare it with the existing filing system to make sure all records are consistent and aligned.
- Provide support in the development of MEL Plans, tools, survey design, methodology, data analysis, and other services as may be required for program monitoring and evaluation.
- Oversee data indicator tracking and analysis, linking it with evidence regularly and ensuring that data and metrics in field reports are accurate.
- Remain updated with developments among the Mercy Corps Nigeria MEL community and agency-wide MEL trends and resources and ensure that the MEL team is applying MC guidance and policies appropriately and promptly.
- Maintain an up-to-date database that reflects progress through TolaData (including disaggregated beneficiary counts) and donor indicators.
- Play a key role in the development and leading in the review of program logical framework, intervention strategies, and M&E frameworks and document changes to generate learnings and ideas for programs.
- Work with the program team to identify opportunities to innovate M&E systems (particularly digital enhancement, data visualization, and GIS).
- Coordinate assessments, evaluations, and monitoring surveys in the area of operation.
Documentation, Reporting, and Learning
- Regularly document program data analysis summaries, and evaluations and provide evidence-based information, and other high-quality, results-based documentation.
- Produce quality program reports and support program teams to review and improve the quality of reporting.
- Visit sites and partners to collect supplementary data, and stories and conduct qualitative research both independently and in teams and support partner organizations with proper documentation and report generation.
- Work closely with the Learning and Communication officer to identify and document different case stories and communications points and processes across programs.
- Ensure regular communication, coordination, and reporting with the Consortium MEL Coordinator (IOM)
- Maintain professional relationships with local government officials, private sector partners, NGOs, other development organizations, and civil society organizations.
- Maintain an active advisory role with the program and MEL team to help guide them toward robust and relevant data collection.
- Work with MEL and IT staff to maximize the value and utility of technology initiatives for effective MEL.
- Perform any other duties as assigned by his/her supervisor or representatives.
As part of our commitment to organizational learning and in support of our understanding that learning organizations are more effective, efficient, and relevant to the communities they serve we expect all team members to commit 5% of their time to learning activities that benefit Mercy Corps as well as themselves.
ACCOUNTABILITY TO BENEFICIARIES
Mercy Corps team members are expected to support all efforts toward accountability, specifically to our beneficiaries and to international standards guiding international relief and development work, while actively engaging beneficiary communities as equal partners in the design, monitoring and evaluation of our field projects.
Supervisory Responsibility: None
Reports Directly To: Program Manager works closely with the Country MEL Manager, project field teams, Communications team, and Consortium Coordinator.
Knowledge and Experience
- BA / BSc in Monitoring and Evaluation, Statistics, Economics, Development Studies, or another similar field; MA/MS/MBA in similar fields or equivalent is also preferred.
- At least 4 years of experience in development, implementation, monitoring, and evaluation or other learning efforts is required.
- Past or current experience with conducting MEL for peacebuilding is preferable.
- Should understand concepts and demonstrate skills in monitoring and evaluation, results frameworks/program logic, and participatory monitoring.
- Experience with both quantitative and qualitative data collection and reporting techniques.
- Ability to design and implement surveys and knowledge of commonly used sampling techniques.
- Experience with facilitation, capacity building, formal and informal knowledge transfer, partnership strengthening, and empowering staff through opportunities for growth and development.
- Experience leading learning extraction, development, and sharing as part of the monitoring and evaluation feedback process.
- Familiarity with data visualization and data analytics
- Knowledge of statistical analysis software such as Tableau, SPSS, EPI Info, and mobile data collection platforms is preferable.
- Experience with digital or technology platforms for the program and MEL-related activities
- Strong ability to work across teams.
- Communicates well with remote collaborators.
- Ability to manage multiple priorities and deadlines.
- Fluency in English; fluency in Hausa is a plus.
How to Apply for this Offer
Interested and Qualified candidates should Click here to Apply Now
- Research / Data Analysis jobs
- Senior Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning (MEL) Officer jobs