Job title : Programme Manager: Humanitarian and Disaster Risk Reduction
Job Location : Borno
Deadline : December 16, 2023
Quick Recommended Links
Reporting to the Deputy Representative, the Programme Manager, Humanitarian, and Disaster Risk Reduction will oversee the development of Humanitarian programmes, provide capacity building to Nigeria Country Offices, establish and strengthen partnerships, and develop relevant knowledge products on Humanitarian and Disaster Risk Reduction.
Duties and Responsibilities
Manage the development of programmes on Humanitarian to Nigeria Country Office Programme Presence teams
- Manage the development of Nigeria Country Office programme documents on humanitarian action;
- Provide technical inputs to programme proposals from the Nigeria Country Office;
- Provide advice on contextualizing/ localizing programme documents, country strategies, and knowledge products;
- Coordinate proper monitoring and reporting for humanitarian action in collaboration with programme teams.
Provide capacity-building support to Nigeria Country Office Programme Presence and partners
- Provide technical and policy support to Nigeria country office, programme presence in developing and strengthening projects/ programmes;
- Implement and monitor capacity-building initiatives;
- Provide technical support to partners on the implementation of humanitarian action.
Establish and strengthen strategic partnerships with stakeholders, regional/ international actors and development partners
- Build and maintain alliances and strategic partnerships for the advancement of humanitarian action;
- Build and maintain close liaisons with relevant donors and other actors supporting efforts towards humanitarian action, as delegated;
- Contribute inputs to updates and briefs on /country development situation to be used by stakeholders, Country Office
- Maintain close contact with relevant staff in UN Women Regional and HQ.
Manage the resource mobilization strategy for humanitarian action in the Nigeria Country Office
- Participate in the implementation, monitoring, and periodic updating of the resource mobilization strategy for humanitarian action in the region;
- Provide technical support to field-based presences in the region in mobilizing resources for the implementation of humanitarian action;
- Research and analyze information on donors.
Manage the design of humanitarian action in the region and the development of relevant knowledge products
- Provide inputs to policy recommendations and guidance to strategic planning and positioning on humanitarian action;
- Research and develop analytical reports, research papers, briefing notes, background papers, summaries, correspondence, and knowledge products on humanitarian action;
- Identify promising practices and technical expertise in humanitarian action.
Manage the advocacy of humanitarian action through inter-agency coordination
- Work closely with and provide advice to regional/ national bodies and interagency groups that influence national policies related to humanitarian action;
- Participate and contribute inputs to the Country Office, regional Humanitarian Protection Cluster, and international bodies;
- Coordinate specific efforts in mainstreaming gender and protection in disaster preparedness, response, and recovery efforts of other clusters and relevant working groups;
- Advocate for the engagement and participation of local organizations and civil society networks in humanitarian coordination mechanisms.
Manage advocacy and communication efforts of humanitarian action
- During emergency response, develop and implement communication and advocacy messages and contribute inputs to strategies on key gender and protection concerns;
- Develop information, education, and communication (IEC) materials, press releases, situation reports, and alerts and contribute gender and protection-related inputs to documents prepared by the Office.
Manage knowledge building and sharing for humanitarian action
- Identify and disseminate lessons learned and good practices in collaboration with country offices;
- Ensure technical skills and knowledge are shared within and among the Nigeria Country Office.
- Respect for Diversity
- Awareness and Sensitivity Regarding Gender Issues
- Creative Problem Solving
- Effective Communication
- Inclusive Collaboration
- Stakeholder Engagement
- Leading by Example
- Strong knowledge and experience related to current policies and practices in the fields of gender equality, protection, and humanitarian action, including humanitarian coordination;
- Strong knowledge of the region
- Strong networking skills
- Ability to interact with donors, identify and analyze trends, opportunities, and threats to fundraising
- Ability to perform qualitative and quantitative policy research
- Ability to advocate and provide policy advice
- Strong analytical skills;
- Ability to write policy papers, speeches, and briefings;
- Strong knowledge of programme development, implementation, results-based management, and reporting
Required Skills and Experience
Education and certification:
- Master’s degree or equivalent in human rights, gender, international relations, international development, international law, or other social science fields is required.
- A first-level university degree in combination with two additional years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
- A project/programme management certification (such as PMP?, PRINCE2?, or MSP?) would be an added advantage.
- At least 5 years of progressively responsible experience in designing and managing humanitarian programmes, with a particular focus on gender and protection in emergencies;
- Technical experience in inter-agency coordination, preferably protection cluster coordination, and/or ProCap/GenCap in a natural disaster setting;
- Experience in policy analysis and strategic planning;
- Experience working with, and building partnerships with governments, donors and civil society organizations internationally and in the field;
- Experience working with the UN is an asset; and
- Experience working in the region is an asset
- Fluency in English is required.
- Knowledge of another official UN language is desirable
- Knowledge of Hausa is an asset.
How to Apply for this Offer
Interested and Qualified candidates should Click here to Apply Now
- NGO/Non-Profit jobs
- Programme Manager: Humanitarian and Disaster Risk Reduction jobs