Options Consultancy Services Limited’s job vacancy, Career and Recruitment
Job title : Principal Consultant, Health Systems Financing jobs in Abuja
Job Location : Abuja
Deadline : July 17, 2022
Quick Recommended Links
Department: Technical Department
Reporting to: Technical Director
Responsible for: Senior Consultant, Health Systems & Financing
Liaison with: Options global team, other UK departments and overseas programmes
Hours: Full time, as per the country office standard working times
Type of contract: Permanent
Main Purpose of Job
- The role of Principle Consultant, Health Systems Financing is to provide technical support on health financing and systems strengthening across Options’ portfolio of programmes in low- and middle-income countries (LMICs).
- The post-holder will be able to appreciate the complexities of and dynamic interactions within health systems including the political context in which they function.
- Through a combination of backstopping support to programme teams and direct technical delivery, they will support the design, implementation and monitoring of health financing approaches to support achievement of universal health coverage. This may include, for example:
- Technical support and advocacy for domestic resource mobilisation for health in the context of transition.
- This could include tracking of national and sub-national budgets, support to prioritisation and the development of country-specific evidence briefs to be used to advocate for increased investment in health.
- Technical support to strengthen public financial management (PFM) processes within the health sector to align with the country’s health financing objectives. This could include support to identify and address blockages in the PFM system to ensure allocation and expenditure of budgets in line with stated priorities.
- Technical assistance to governments as they design and implement health financing reforms, with a particular focus on resilience and primary health care centred universal health coverage.
- This could include the design and application of diagnostic tools and convening of key stakeholders to build consensus on strategies to address local priorities.
Technical Assistance to Programmes:
- As part of the Technical Department, provide backstopping and strategic support on health systems financing across a selection of Options programmes through the provision of technical advice, analysis and quality assurance of technical resources.
- Undertake technical assistance assignments in health systems strengthening and health financing as well as other areas of specialist expertise such as public financial management and health economics as relevant. This will be through on-going inputs to long term programmes and one-off assignments.
- Contribute to the development of project results frameworks, theories of change and support their use and adaptation for effective programme delivery.
- Provide technical support and skills development to country stakeholders including programme staff, government officials and civil society organisations.
- Engage with national governments and other stakeholders to solicit feedback and redress areas of concern
- Liaise with donors and other external development partners to ensure programmes meet objectives and expectations
- Advise on areas of potential risk and support the development of mitigation strategies.
Proposal Development, communication and dissemination:
- Lead the technical design and development of proposals, especially relating to health systems strengthening and health financing
- Provide oversight and inputs into technical components of proposals being developed by other members of the Technical Department.
Prospecting for new business:
- Identify and develop new programme opportunities, building on technical expertise and geographic knowledge
- Build and maintain networks of donors, partners and influencers and use these to promote Options’ work and to attract new business
- Utilise opportunities to represent Options effectively and help position Options as a thought leader in health systems financing
- Provide strategic support to Options’ London team, overseas teams and consultants as required in relation to health systems financing
- Enable technical exchange and learning between programme staff by convening virtual or in-person events and proactively sharing learning resources and tools and connecting individuals from across the organisation.
- Contribute to the documentation of results and the publication and dissemination of research and learning.
- Manage project consultants, Technical Advisors, Technical Officers or interns as required
- Through support and guidance to existing staff, help to grow Options’ expertise in health systems financing.
- Increase and maintain your own area of expertise through continuous self-development.
- Participate in relevant external training and capacity building undertaken by Options.
- An M.Sc or relevant qualification or related comparable experience in Public Heath, Health Financing, Public Financial Management, Health Economics or in a relevant field.
- Experience of working in Africa and/or Asia in a relevant capacity and with governments; international agencies and local NGOs
- Experience delivering technical work on health financing in similar organisations
- Experience applying tools and providing technical assistance in
- public financial management, impact modelling and/or health economics
- Experience providing backstopping support to individuals and
- teams in remote settings through in-person and virtual engagement
- Experience of developing strong relationships with government officials within health and finance authorities
- Experience in providing technical assistance in at least three of the following areas: health financing policy or strategy development, budgeting and planning, health budget advocacy, political economy analysis, sustainability and transition; public financial management, costing and efficiency analysis; results-based financing; social and financial risk protection; contracting; design and/or operationalisation of health insurance schemes; impact modelling and health economics.
- Experience of working alongside national stakeholders and
- institutions to build skills and competencies e.g. in health financing concepts or budget analysis
- Experience of dialogue with government and donor clients to successfully negotiate solutions
- Experience of leading technical bids
- Established networks which will contribute to Options business development
- Portfolio of publications.
Skills and Attributes:
- Technical specialism in Health Systems Strengthening with a focus on Health Financing
- Knowledge about Reproductive, Maternal, Newborn, Child and
- Adolescent Health (RMNCAH)/communicable diseases in developing countries
- Ability to analyse, interpret and present data (eg government budgets) so that it is easily understood by non-experts
- Excellent skills in written and verbal communication
- Proven ability to network and manage relationships with clients, consultants and technical resource persons
- Self-starter as well as good team-worker
- Ability to actively contribute to strategy and business development in health systems financing and beyond.
- Demonstrated ability to contribute to technical delivery of programmes.
- Demonstrated interpersonal skills that enables effective team building and problem solving.
- Demonstrated ability to contribute to technical writing of bids.
- Excellent written and spoken French.
- Commitment to equal opportunities
- A commitment to the programme’s and Options’ principles of
- Safeguarding, Do No Harm, and to comprehensive sexual and
- reproductive health and rights
- Fluency in written and spoken English.
Commensurate with experience.
How to Apply for this Offer
Interested and Qualified candidates should Click here to Apply online