Code for Africa’s Career and Recruitment Offer
Job title : Multimedia Designer
Job Location : Not specified
Deadline : September 30, 2021
Quick Recommended Links
- Use your visual storytelling skills to champion digital democracy across Africa.
- Code for Africa (CfA) has an immediate vacancy for a full-time Multimedia Designer to join our Engagement team and turbocharge audience engagement around our digital democracy and civic technology projects.
- CfAÕs Engagement team is responsible for managing CfAÕs public audience, by managing our platforms, communications and brand. The team actively works to grow CfAÕs reputation and amplify our thought leadership and accomplishments through compelling multimedia storytelling.
- The successful candidate will help CfA create graphic designs and animations (such as animated GIFs and short engaging videos) to spark conversations on social media.
- Your application will be judged based on your creative talent and technical expertise in graphic design and/or simple illustration and animation skills. Candidates can hail from the media, advertising, or any other creative industry. All you need is a talent for creating strong visual content.
- The successful candidate will work as part of a multinational and multilingual team, using digital collaboration tools to create content for a global audience and international media partners. If successful, you will work on projects spotlighting human trafficking, misinformation, public health threats, award winning investigations and much more.
About the Role
- The successful candidate will join us on CfAÕs Engagement team. The team is responsible for telling CfAÕs story, and keeping it accessible and engaging. We amplify the work of our experts and external project partners across Africa, and communicate our shared vision of a more open, connected, and technologically empowered continent.
- As the Multimedia Designer youÕll join the team as our lead visual communicator. You will work alongside copywriters to create the narrative, copyeditors to make the content sing, and social media strategies to ensure that weÕre getting the best out of the platforms themselves.
- You will occasionally also collaborate with the Data Designer, Illustrator and UX Designer in CfAÕs StoryLab team.
- Your primary role will be to find visual treatments for the branded content and technologies that our teams build. You will need to inject a sense of passion, energy and immediacy into all these campaigns, through clever designs and illustrations. The resulting content will be published across all of our platforms, to engage and inspire members of our ecosystem.
- In doing so you will stay at the cutting edge of your field, curating benchmarks and keeping ahead of trends in digital storytelling to ensure that CfA stands apart.
Your daily responsibilities will include:
- Produce designs to accompany CfA and partner content, as well as social media promotions
- and campaigns (examples from The Economist, Facebook/PesaCheck and Thomson Reuters Foundation).
- Produce gifs for social media promotions and campaigns (examples from The Economist, UN Women and NPR).
- Contribute designs and animations for social media videos (like these examples from the World Health Organisation and Viral Facts Africa).
- Maintain a reference list/database of competitors and benchmarks of quality.
- Develop a distinctive and world-class visual style to put CfA ahead of global partners.
- Support the development of coherent brand guidelines for CfA, our social media and platforms.
- Enforce a consistent, high visual standard across CfA comms platforms.
Required Minimum Requirements Include
- You have a portfolio/showreel of demonstrating your graphic design and/or animation/social video/GIF making skills and/or illustration
- YouÕve worked on content that went viral, became a meme, or made a meaningful impact on a community.
- You have mastery of the Adobe Creative Cloud Suite, in particular XD, Illustrator, Photoshop, and AfterEffects.
- You understand the relative strengths of the different social media platforms, and the different narrative/visual techniques necessary for engaging the different audiences on these platforms.
- You are able to work with writers, developers and product managers to plan out visual content across multiple platforms.
Candidates who are able to demonstrate the following will have an advantage:
- You have a knack for telling immersive stories across different platforms, customised to the specific audience while remaining true to the core narrative.
- YouÕve built an engaged community or gathered an active following around the content youÕve created.
- YouÕre familiar with design prototyping tools like Figma and Sketch.
- YouÕve worked on brands or projects that are globally recognised and disruptive.
- YouÕre experienced with digital collaboration tools, including Slack, Google Drive, and Trello.
Language and Location Requirements:
- Location: Candidates from Kenya, Nigeria or South Africa are preferred, but strong candidates from across Africa will be gladly considered.
- Primary languages: English
- Preferred but not required: Amharic, Arabic, Hausa, French or Kiswahili.
What We Offer
- A competitive salary, subject to experience, with opportunities for performance-based growth, both in terms of career path and public stature.
- A dynamic workplace, with a transnational team, and generous vacation benefits.
- Ongoing opportunities to learn new cutting-edge skills and techniques/technologies to future-proof yourself in a rapidly evolving industry.
- A chance to shine on a global stage, publishing for international audiences and interacting with colleagues around the world.
How to Apply for this Offer
interested and Qualified candidates should Click here to apply online