1 week ago
Job title : Legal Advisor Consultant
Job Location : Abuja
Deadline : May 30, 2023
Quick Recommended Links
Duties and Responsibilities
- While the incidence of piracy and robbery at sea in the Gulf of Guinea (GoG) persists, the capacity of ECCAS costal states to prosecute has come under increased scrutiny. What is evident from a number of assessments and fact-finding missions conducted by UNODC through its Global Maritime Crime Programme (GMCP) and other international organizations such as the International Maritime Organization (IMO), United States Africa Command (AFRICOM) and other US agencies, France, and the UK, is that no ECCAS State currently has the necessary mix of jurisdiction, offence creating legislation, and prosecutorial and judicial awareness and capacity to undertake a piracy prosecution. At the same time, in West Africa five ECOWAS this is not entirely the case, because thanks to the support of UNODC GMCP within the framework of the SWAIMS project, a Supplementary Act to transfer suspects of piracy for prosecution within ECOWAS states has been developed. In addition, a draft regional model agreement on other illicit maritime activities similar to the San Jose Treaty operating in Caribbean region to further strengthen enforcement action at sea within the Gulf of Guinea has also been developed. These GMCP efforts particularly in the case of piracy have been possible as a result of the fact that five (5) countries Togo, Nigeria, Cabo Verde, Liberia and Senegal have universal jurisdiction to prosecute suspects of piracy.
- More particularly, effort of the UNODC GMCP in the foregoing context has been made possible through the instrumentality of its legal reform effort and training of maritime of criminal justice practitioners on the Law of the Sea and transnational organised maritime crime matters in the entire Gulf of Guinea region. Continuing in this effort, the GMCP is desirous of providing further support to the finalization of the regional model agreement on other illicit maritime activities within the ECOWAS process and the implementation of the ECOWAS Supplementary Act on the transfer of piracy suspects through the mechanism of bilateral agreements between EU CMP countries and the possible receiving states under the ECOWAS Supplementary Act.
- More specifically, the legal consultant under the foregoing engagement will support the Interregional Coordination Center (ICC) legal department in providing innovative legal solutions to tackle maritime crime in the GoG and in its assessment missions and analysis of the instruments of the Yaound? Architecture preparatory to the tenth Anniversary of the Architecture.
- Advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent) in law, criminology, police, administration or a similar field, focused on international maritime affairs, international security policy, criminal justice and / or the application of the law is required.
- A first level university degree in similar fields with additional two years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
- At least ten years of progressively responsible professional experience in the field of countering maritime crime and implementing law of the sea is required;
- Proven experience in legal research and analysis, proposals and training plans, and excellent drafting skills is desirable;
- Experience in development work and legal systems in West and Central Africa is desirable;
- Good communication and interpersonal skills are desirable;
- Proven experience in dealing with national and regional counterparts from various cultural backgrounds is desirable;
- Previous work experience with the UN or other International Organizations will be considered is desirable;
- English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. Fluency in English, i.e., oral and written proficiency, is required. Knowledge of another United Nations official language is an advantage.
How to Apply for this Offer
Interested and Qualified candidates should Click here to Apply Now
- Consultancy jobs
- Legal Advisor Consultant jobs