Job title : Junior Advisor, Agricultural Policy & M&E
Job Location : Abuja
Deadline : November 29, 2023
Quick Recommended Links
GIZ. Solutions that work.
- As a service provider in the field of international cooperation for sustainable development and international education work, we are dedicated to shaping a future worth living around the world. GIZ has over 50 years of experience in a wide variety of areas, including economic development and employment promotion, energy and the environment, and peace and security.
- The diverse expertise of our federal enterprise is in demand around the globe from the German Government, European Union institutions, the United Nations, the private sector, and governments of other countries.
- We work with businesses, civil society actors and research institutions, fostering successful interaction between development policy and other policy fields and areas of activity. Our main commissioning party is the German Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ).
- The registered offices of GIZ are in Bonn and Eschborn. Our approximately 23,500 employees, almost 70 percent of whom are national personnel, work in a round 120 countries (July 2020)
- GIZ has worked in Nigeria since 1974. Since 2004, GIZ has maintained a country office in the capital city Abuja. Currently 361 national and 66 international employees, 19 regional staff, 4 integrated specialists and 3 development workers are working in the country (June 2020).
Sustainable Agricultural Systems and Policies (AgSys):
- The global project Sustainable Agricultural Systems and Agricultural Policy (GV AgSys) supports partner countries in transformation processes towards sustainable agricultural systems.
- AgSys’ vision for transformation is based on the understanding that current agricultural practices are not fit to feed a growing population with a nutritious diet while respecting planetary boundaries.
- Agri-food systems that feed people well and do not overuse natural resources, require a transformation of current practices and frameworks.
- At the country level, AgSys takes up and strengthens previous innovations and partnerships of the German and international development cooperation and complements them by policy advice at the state and federal level.
- At the global level, the country contributions are connected to regional exchange formats and supported by advisory inputs from global knowledge hubs. In this way, reform approaches in the partner countries are linked to global agendas and their feasibility is improved.
- The country measure of AgSys is part of a cluster of eight other GIZ projects, intervening at different levels of the Nigerian and ECOWAS agri-food system to improve the competitiveness of agri-businesses in selected value chains, develop climate-smart innovations and improve access to finance for small agricultural producers and agri- businesses and thus contribute to the transformation of the Nigerian agri-food systems.
Responsibilities & Tasks
- Generally, junior professionals perform their duties in accordance with guidelines defined by the manager or are under the instruction of professionals in higher bands.
- The content of work and the learning stages are geared towards enabling the staff member to assume functions in GIZ band 4 or corresponding activities in the market.
- This function allows the employee to acquire technical and methodological knowledge and personal and social skills which can also be used in other band 4 functions.
- Carrying out specific tasks in connection with knowledge
management for the project
- The project manager in carrying out project activities
Coordination and Monitoring:
- Puts together an overview of project deadlines etc. and presents this regularly at team meetings.
- Supports project monitoring and updates information on project progress, documents and reports regularly on the status of results,
- Assists with recording and documenting the results of all
- Draws up media analyses, participates in fora and public
hearings on issues directly connected with the project,
- Assists with planning, coordinating and documenting meetings, workshops, seminars, and other project activities with a focus on technical aspects,
- Assists with PR work for the project,
- Assists short-term experts assigned to projects in
completing their tasks
- In consultation with the policy advisor as well as the international advisor, prepares and carries out qualitative research projects (developing survey instruments, organisational preparation in the field, collecting and analysing
- Conducts desk research based on the instructions of the policy advisor
The junior advisor / junior technical professional:
- Assists in drawing up reports and translations.
- Assists in communicating, updating and collecting information on activities and results of the project.
The junior advisor / junior technical professional
- Is familiar with GIZ planning, implementation and reporting procedures and their changes.
- Is familiar with other programme components and GIZ- assisted measures, concepts and status of implementation and knows the corresponding experts and staff.
- Represents the interest of the GIZ-assisted measure and always acts on its behalf.
- Carries out important tasks for the project, even if these are not explicitly cited in the job description.
Other Duties/Additional Tasks:
The junior advisor / junior technical professional
- Perform additional tasks as requested by management.
Required Qualifications, Competences, and Experience
- University Degree in Agriculture, Agricultural Economics, Social Sciences, Law, or closely related field.
- Initial experience in agricultural development or governance.
Other Knowledge, Additional Competencies:
- Good working knowledge of ITC technologies and computer applications (e.g, MS Office, Access or other database programme)
- Good knowledge of English
- Experience of project management and research experience in an area related to the project requirements is desirable.
- Willingness to upskill as required by the tasks to be performed corresponding measures are agreed with management.
- Willingness to learn in a highly independent manner and to deepen technical knowledge on agri-food systems transformation globally and in contexts beyond Nigeria,
- Willingness to work collaboratively in a close-knit team with flat hierarchies.
According to GIZ salary scale for Band 5.
How to Apply for this Offer
Interested and qualified candidates should send their CV and Letter of Motivation as one document with complete contact details to: firstname.lastname@example.org using vacancy no. 100 as the subject of the email.
- GIZ is an equal opportunities employer committed to diversity. All qualified candidates, regardless of age, sex, ethnicity, race, and religion are encouraged to apply.
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
- NGO/Non-Profit jobs
- Junior Advisor, Agricultural Policy & M&E jobs