About International Organization for Migration’s Job offer
Job title : Consultant – IOM Nigeria COMITAS Project
Job Location : Abuja
Deadline : March 1, 2021
Quick Recommended Links
CFCV No. : CFCV2021/14
Organizational Unit: DDRR
IOM Classification: Consultant
Type of Appointment: Consultancy, 5.5 Months duration
Estimated Start Date : As soon as possible
- The consultant will be working under the project “Contributing to the mitigation of conflict over natural resources between farmer and herder communities in Adamawa state, Nigeria (COMITAS), and more specifically under the supervision of the IOM Nigeria COMITAS Project Coordinator
- The candidate will be responsible and accountable for developing and strengthening a two-way policy engagement on the national livestock transformation plan between the federal, state, local government area, and community levels, in the framework of the COMITAS consortium project.
Core Functions / Responsibilities
- Support the Steering Committee of the COMITAS project, by coordinating and facilitating meetings aimed at promoting a two-way policy engagement on the national livestock transformation plan between the federal, state, local government area, and community levels; building mutual trust and sustainability in the long term.
- In coordination with the IOM COMITAS project coordinator, coordinate with COMITAS field partners to ensure a close communication and the two- way exchange of the outcomes of the various meetings at the federal, state and local levels as well as the dialogues and communications with communities throughout the implementation of the project.
- Liaise with national and international institutions, international and non-governmental organizations and other relevant partners and donors to identify best practices and lessons learned that could be applied to the implementation of the National Livestock Transformation Plan- NLTP. This can also imply desk reviews including sources of information as the transhumance tracking tool’s situation reports, early warning bulletins, policy briefs, and outcomes of the various meetings and dialogues produced at the field level.
- Liaise with the working group and coordination group of the NLTP, and inform all relevant Government officials from federal, state, local government area, ensuring a timely communication of relevant data collected at the field level (including early warning and conflict trends assessments at the local and / or state level) and potential effects of the NLTP for the communities as well as perceptions, concerns, and expectations of the latter.
- Coordinate and facilitate meetings with relevant state and federal authorities as well as project partners on the progress of the COMITAS project to inform the discussions at a high political level.
- In coordination with the IOM COMITAS project coordinator and Search for Common Ground, liaise with the forum on farmer and herder relations in Nigeria (FFARN) to support the analysis on the implementation of the National Livestock Transformation Plan and its effects on peacebuilding efforts, as well as support FFARN members with the production of policy briefs that integrate voices from the community. Such policy briefs will be communicated to the working group and coordination group of the NLTP.
- In coordination with the IOM COMITAS Project Coordinator and Search for Common Ground, liaise with regional and national farmer and herder associations to support the analysis on transhumance patterns and trends in Nigeria and in the region, and communicate such analysis to the relevant stakeholders.
- Report to the COMITAS Project Coordinator on the coordination progress on a monthly basis.
- Undertake duty travel relating to liaison with counterparts, as required.
Measurable Output & Performance Indicators of the work assignment:
- Develop a document on best practices and lessons learned that could be applied to the implementation of the National Livestock Transformation Plan- NLTP.
- Coordinate and facilitate at least one meeting with relevant state and federal authorities as well as project partners and the steering committee of the COMITAS project.
- Coordinate monthly meetings (at least 5 meetings) with the working group and coordination group of the NLTP.
- Coordinate monthly meetings (at least 5 meetings) with relevant Government officials from federal, state, local government area for the implementation of the COMITAS project.
- Coordinate monthly meetings (at least 5 meetings) with the forum on farmer and herder relations in Nigeria (FFARN) and with the regional and national farmer and herder associations to support the analysis on the implementation of the National Livestock Transformation Plan.
- Report of the facilitation of each meeting.
- Monthly reports on the coordination progress, submitted to the COMITAS Project Coordinator.
Required Qualifications and Experience
- Master’s degree in International Relations, Management, Development Studies, Planning, Business Administration, or a related relevant discipline preferably with a specialization in conflict analysis, conflict prevention, peacebuilding and / or negotiation from an accredited academic institution or University degree in the above fields with five years of relevant professional experience.
- Demonstrated expertise in conflict prevention / conflict mitigation and peacebuilding issues;
- Thorough understanding of the farmer- herder conflict in the context of the Middle Belt in Nigeria, as well as in the rest of the Lake Chad Basin Region.
- Expertise in dialogue facilitation and negotiation, especially in the specific area of intervention;
- Strong communication skills, and ability to liaise with various stakeholders, especially with government officials;
- Experience in working with relevant government authorities, governmental and non-governmental institutions supporting conflict prevention / conflict mitigation and early warning;
- Demonstrated ability to write high quality, methodologically sound, analytical papers in English. Knowledge of French is an asset;
- Be willing to undertake in-country travel related to the assignment.
Fluency in English; knowledge of multiple languages advantageous.
- Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
- Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles / rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators:
- Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
- Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge, and innovate.
- Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
- Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
- Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment and verification of residency, visa and authorizations by the concerned Government, where applicable.
- Female candidates are encouraged to apply
How to Apply for this Offer
Interested and qualified candidates should submit their Applications via email to: [email protected] indicating Position applied for on subject line.
- For the applications to be considered valid, IOM only accepts applications with a Cover Letter not more than one page specifying the motivation for application, addressed to “Human Resources, International Organization for Migration (IOM)” and with a subject line CFCV2021/14 Abuja. Consultant (COMITAS Project for IOM Nigeria DDRR Programme)
- All applications should include a functional email address, mobile numbers and detailed curriculum vitae (CV).