Job title : Internal Audit Specialist
Job Location : Lagos
Deadline : November 30, 2023
Quick Recommended Links
Program / Department Summary
- Waves of resource-based, ethnic, and sectarian conflict, rising criminality and banditry, and expanding violent extremism are rendering North Central and Northwest Nigeria increasingly insecure.
- While multiple initiatives seek to address the complex causes of violence, community and security responses to drivers and triggers are often piecemeal at best, and ineffectual at worst.
- Existing Early Warning and Early Response (EWER) systems suffer from slow responses, poor coordination, top-down mandates that limit community ownership, weak dispute resolution skills among responders, little political and financial investment, leadership structures that exclude women and youth, and scant rigorous evidence.
- The result of ineffective EWER systems is that unchecked, violence proliferates.
- To examine and mitigate these barriers, Peace Action for Rapid and Transformative Nigerian Early Response (PARTNER) will pursue a bold approach to collaboration across local, international, government, non-government, community, state, and security stakeholders.
- Local ownership, fuelled by iterative organizational performance assessment and capacity strengthening, will inform each component of the proposed sustainable, flexible, and evidence-based national EWER system that builds on existing locally led and gender-sensitive conflict management mechanisms for vertical integration; incentivizes quick responses through horizontal coordination;and fosters increased trust in security and government actors to promote inclusive and collective action.
- By embedding EWER innovations within formal structures from the beginning, PARTNER will increase Nigeria’s self-reliance in leading a holistic, coordinated, and effective effort to promote sustainable peace.
General Position Summary
- PARTNER is built on a culture of true partnership and a systematic approach to local ownership, including readiness measurement, capacity and commitment strengthening, coaching, and key inflection points and benchmarking. Mercy Corps is currently leading the PARTNER program in a mentorship capacity in Year 1 and Year 2 of the program, working closely with the West Africa Network for Peacebuilding (WANEP), which will assume leadership of the program beginning in Year 3.
- The Internal Auditor will therefore be responsible for contributing to the design and implementation of audit processes, procedures, and methodologies, developing, and monitoring customized audit programs, planning and performing operational audits to ensure compliance with applicable local, state and federal regulations, corporate standards and generally accepted internal audit standards.
- He/she will be responsible for managing and investigating Fraud and Corruption related cases.
- Prepare and execute scheduled audits including planning, preparation, execution, reporting, and follow-up in accordance with accepted professionals.
- Develop audit scopes, including assigning internal controls and risk areas.
- Perform various aspects of the execution of risk-based operational audits.
- Document all information pertaining to audit results including findings, opportunities, and observations.
- Follow up with management on remedial action.
- Prepare Audit and Executive Summary reports.
- Promote value and recommendations including efficiency and cost-savings opportunities.
- Evaluate the overall efficiency and effectiveness of internal controls and risk areas in compliance with applicable process standards.
- Demonstrate high standards of conduct and ethics as well as the ability to use appropriate judgment and discretion.
- Coordinate and conduct special audits, investigations, and/or ad-hoc projects with minimal supervision and direction.
- Training of staff on local laws and regulations, ethics, and internal control-related related matters.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- As part of our commitment to organizational learning and in support of our understanding that learning organizations are more effective, efficient, and relevant to the communities they serve, we expect all team members to commit 5% of their time to learning activities that benefit WANEP-Nigeria as well as themselves.
Knowledge and Experience
- Bachelor’s or Master’s Degree in Accounting.
- Professional certification of ACCA, ICAN, CIA, CFE, or equivalent experience, or working towards a professional certification is required.
- A minimum of 5 years of internal auditing experience is required in a corporate or an INGO sector.
- Sound knowledge of USAID and other donors’ rules and regulations is desirable.
- Proficient with standard concepts, procedures, protocols, and methodologies within the auditor field
- Team-oriented, effectively interacts with peers, management and other internal customers
- Good understanding, comprehension, and ability to articulate auditing and accounting concepts
- Efficient time management and organizational skills with the ability to multi-task
- A minimum of 35% domestic travel is required
- Ability to communicate, influence and solve problems effectively across diverse cultures and geographical distances with sensitivity.
- Fluency in English is required. Fluency in other Nigerian languages will be an added advantage.
- S/he will be capable of multi-tasking, rapid decision-making, have initiative, drive, and a lot of energy, as well as high emotional intelligence, constructive communication skills and proven experience with capacity building.
- S/he will be committed to long-term program sustainability and the delivery of high-impact activities at the community level.
Living Conditions / Environmental Conditions:
- The position is based in Ogba, Lagos State and requires travel to project communities in Nigeria.
How to Apply for this Offer
Interested and qualified candidates should apply by sending their CV and Application Letters to: firstname.lastname@example.org using the job title as the subject of the email.
- Accounting / Financial Services jobs
- Internal Audit Specialist jobs