International Rescue Committee’s job vacancy, Career and Recruitment
Job title : Health System Strengthening Technical Advisor, State Ministry of Health jobs in Yobe
Job Location : Yobe
Deadline : May 23, 2022
Quick Recommended Links
Job Overview / Summary
HeRON Project Overview:
- FCDO/USAID Health Resilience of Northeast Nigeria (HeRON) Service delivery project in Borno and Yobe states supports delivery of quality integrated primary healthcare, reproductive, maternal, newborn and child health services, to improve evidence-based decision making, accountability at all levels of service delivery.
- IRC leads a consortium of humanitarian and development implementing partners (Action Contre la Faim ACF, Society for Family Health Nigeria).
- The Project team is working alongside states and local government authorities, strengthening their capacity to effectively deliver quality integrated primary healthcare, reproductive, maternal, and newborn and child health and nutrition services.
Scope of Work
- IRC is seeking a dynamic and experienced public health and governance professional to provide technical support to States MoH and LGAs to strengthen the health system.
- Reporting to the HeRON Consortium Team Leader, the HSS Technical Advisor will be responsible for directly working with State MoH officials, to ensure that the program is aligned with government health strategies, plans and priorities/ AOPs; supporting the roll-out of government health policies, with particular focus on program quality and sustainability across health system strengthening components.
- Working alongside MoH officials at State and LGA levels, the HSS Technical Advisor will provide appropriate capacity strengthening to ensure that health systems are rebuilt and equipped to deliver quality and sustainable health services at health facility and community level, with an improved management and performance of the health system.
- In consultation with the Consortium Deputy Team Leader, the HSS Technical Advisor will regularly coordinate with states MoH and LGA officials, development actors and stakeholders.
Program Management, Technical Quality, Strategy and Advocacy:
- Under the leadership of the HeRON Consortium Team Leader, provide technical support for the overall strategy implementation to strengthen the capacity of the State Ministry of Health (SMoH) and the state primary health care development agency (SPHCDA).
- Advocate and collaborate with MoH, SPHCDA, LGAs to incorporate best practices and international standards in service delivery
- Oversee and facilitate periodic self-assessment processes at the SMOH, SPHCDA and LGAs, as well as the development of organizational development and/or capacity building plans aiming at mainstreaming health governance principles and processes, aiming at increasing participation, responsiveness, and accountability of reproductive, maternal, neonatal and child health services.
- Support the SPHCDA Executive Director and LGAs in executing the activities laid out in the organizational development (OD) and capacity building plans
- Coordinate with the HeRON consortium deputy team leader and management team to identify, through cyclical assessments, technical support needs/ priorities, and regularly monitor the performance of OD plans, as well as through scheduled quarterly review meetings.
- Support the SMOH, SPHCDA and LGAs analytical and decision-making processes in further defining and planning the roll-out of integrated service packages for community health services, the improvement/ roll-out of Health Management Information System (HMIS) and Logistics Management Information System (LMIS)
- Coordinate between the SMOH, SPHCDA, LGAs and the HeRON consortium leadership and its implementing partners to provide technical support for the implementation of transition and sustainability plans, in ensuring the attainment of the identified sustainability parameters.
- Provide expert contribution to the development or adaptation of national health policies, guidelines, and standards, promoting quality service provision in Northeast Nigeria that is accessible, responsive, and accountable to citizens, and allows their voices to be heard.
Research, Learning and Analysis:
- Review existing SMOH/ partner supervisory tools and provide technical support in development of TORs, guidelines, trainings, manuals, and tools for new community health system strengthening initiatives
- Generate lessons learned and best practices that will inform future investment in health programming.
Coordination & Representation:
- Participate and provide technical support at SMOH planning, budgeting, and review meetings
- Participate at program coordination meetings with consortium and implementing partners
- Participate at various stakeholders and partners coordination meetings at State level
Key Working Relationships
- Position Reports to: Team Leader HeRON Consortium
- Indirect/Technical Reporting: Deputy Team Leader
- Position directly Supervises: N/A
Key Internal Contacts:
- Country Program: Health Governance Manager, HeRON Senior Program Managers, M&E Manager, Pharmacy Manager
- Region/Global: Senior Technical Advisor, Governance (HQ), Health Technical Advisor (HQ)
Key External Contacts:
- State MoH Officials, State PHCDA Director, MoH HeRON Focal Persons, HeRON Implementing partners
- Master’s Degree in Public Health (MPH) or equivalent, or Bachelor’s Degree in relevant field with Public Health experience equivalent to MPH.
- Previous experience working closely with Ministry of Health officials and in policy development/Health Systems Strengthening
- Previous experience working in a technical advisory capacity, and as part of a consortium of implementing partners, INGOs.
- Familiarity/ knowledge of applicable contexts (Yobe/ Borno)
Demonstrated Technical Skills:
- Demonstrable technical expertise and working knowledge in advocacy, HSS and health governance
- Excellent monitoring and evaluation skills
- Excellent coordination and networking skills
Demonstrated Managerial / Leadership Competencies:
- Knowledge, skills, and experience in consensus building and partnerships.
- Demonstrated leadership, communication, and facilitation skills.
- Excellent interpersonal and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to handle a large and dynamic workload, work under pressure and meet deadlines
- Fluency in English (spoken and written)
Computer / Other Tech Requirements:
- Full professional competency in Microsoft Office Suite, especially Word, Excel, Outlook, and PowerPoint.
- Ability to Travel: 10-20% of time
How to Apply for this Offer
Interested and Qualified candidates should Click here to Apply online