African Union’s job vacancy, Career and Recruitment
Job title : Head of Medical Support Services
Job Location : Not specified
Deadline : September 26, 2022
Quick Recommended Links
Requisition ID: 1326
Reports to: Director
Directorate / Department: Medical and Health Services
Division: Medical Support Services
Number of Direct Reports: 1
Number of Indirect Reports: 14
Job Grade: P5
Contract Type: Regular
Purpose of Job
To provide technical leadership for the supervision and management for the effective performance of the Radiology, Pharmacy and Laboratory Units.
- Manages the work of the Division and supervises direct reports to ensure their effective performance as per organization’s Performance Management policy and system;
- Designs strategies and policies consistent with the Department’s goal in order to address the pertinent issues in the relevant area;
- Contributes to the development of the departmental business continuity plan and ensure implementation at division level;
- Manages risk within the division and recommend mitigation strategies
- Designs and plans policy programs to achieve the strategies;
- Develops new and reviews activities as components of the strategies and policies;
- Addresses problems in arising to current approaches to relevant area.
- Engages stakeholders within Members States and RECs in designing and implementing strategies;
- Represents the organisation and explain its position at conferences;
- Mobilises funding from all donors to use to execute strategies and activities.
- Contributes to the preparation of periodic financial and budget execution reports and monitor budget execution at division level.
- Creates an inspiring work environment to enable staff development and professional progression.
- Supervises and manages the employees of the Division with regard to organisation and performance evaluation.
- Designs strategies and policies consistent with the AU’s goal in order to address the pertinent issues in the relevant area.
- Prioritizes Medical programs and priorities, set the direction for Division’s activities, plans, priorities, and workflows in Radiology, Pharmacy and Laboratory Units respectively.
- Coordinates the activities of the different Units to support the expert clinical care of MHSD clients.
- Represents the Department in all meetings related to health issues and report back on issues discussed and on action required to the immediate supervisor.
- Ensures overall management of the Division; including performance, quality assurance, staff issues and budget related matters of all units under him/ her.
- Provides input into the recruitment of Division/MHSD staff as required.
- Set performance standards for self and staff, conduct performance appraisals on schedule and resolve intra unit conflicts.
- Produces and submits periodic reports on activities and specific missions.
- Participates in the upgrade of the AU Medical and Health Services Directorate in respect of Equipment, Diagnostic technologies and Continuous Medical Education.
- Oversees the continuing medical education programs for Medical Staff and training of Clinical Attaches and Interns within the Division.
- Participates in the development and delivery of health promotion, disease prevention and occupational Health and Safety programs of the Directorate (including HIV and AIDS in the workplace).
- Participates in programs of AU Medical Services Directorate in respect to technical advice to AU Regional Offices, Organs and AU Field Missions.
- Ensures overall management of the Division; budget management, monitoring, analysis, evaluation of staff performance, grievance and progressive discipline, and fiscal needs in conformity with the relevant rules and procedures
- Performs any other duties as may be assigned by his immediate supervisor.
Academic Requirements and Relevant Experience
- Master’s Degree in Medicine (MD, MBBS, BMBCh) with 12 years post qualification relevant experience Relevant work experience within a government hospital or private practice, or an International organization which 7 years should be at managerial level and 5 years at supervisory level
- Must be a Member/ MMED of a professional Regional College of Physicians (Pathologists, Radiologist or Pharmacologists) with Ten (10) years work experience, including 5 years as Head of Department. OR
- Fellow of a professional Regional College of Physicians (Pathologists, Radiologist or Pharmacologists) with Eight (8) years work experience in a clinical role, including 3 years as Head of Department.
- Must be licensed to practice medicine as a Specialist in Laboratory Medicine/ Radiologist/ Pharmacologist in his/her home country or country of residence, as at the time of application.
- Must have gained eExperience as head of a clinical unit, section, service or department will be an advantage.
- Must have specialization in one of these specialties: Laboratory Medicine, Radiology or Clinical Pharmacology.
- Documented training in Logistics and Supply Chain Management.
- A demonstrated ability to initiate and promote collaborative approaches between geographically and culturally disparate partners
- Ability to establish and maintain effective partnerships and working relations both internally and externally
- Ability to develop and delegate clear program goals, plans and actions, including budgets, that are consistent with agreed strategies
- Ability to effectively lead, supervise, mentor, develop and evaluate staff
- Working knowledge in the areas of policy analysis, and program / project management;
- Interpersonal skills and ability to organize and motivate others and work in a multicultural environment;
- Report writing and presentation skills.
- Planning and organization skills
- Scientific communication abilities as evidenced by scientific /other publications.
- Proficiency in one of the AU working languages, fluency in another AU language is an added advantage.
- Strategic Perspective:
- Developing Others:
- Change Management:
- Managing Risk:
- Building relationships:
- Foster Accountability Culture:
- Learning Orientation:
- Communicating with impact:
- Conceptual thinking:
- Job Knowledge Sharing;
- Drive for Results
- Fosters Innovation:
Tenure of Appointment
- The appointment will be made on a regular term contract for a period of three (3) years, of which the first twelve months shall be considered as a probationary period.
- Thereafter, the contract will be for a period of two years renewable, subject to satisfactory performance and deliverables.
- Proficiency in one of the AU working languages (Arabic, English, French, Portuguese, and Spanish) and fluency in another AU language is an added advantage.
- Indicative basic salary of US$ 50,746.00 (P5 Step1) per annum plus other related entitlements e.g. Post adjustment ( 46% of basic salary), Housing allowance US$ 26,208.00 (per annum), and education allowance (100% of tuition and other education-related expenses for every eligible dependent up to a maximum of US$ 10,000.00 per child per annum), for internationally recruited staff and a maximum of $3,300 per child per annum for locally recruited staff.
How to Apply for this Offer
Interested and Qualified candidates should Click here to Apply online