Job title : Education Assistant – LDSC
Job Location : Lagos
Deadline : February 13, 2024
Quick Recommended Links
ROLE PURPOSE AND DESCRIPTION
- Save the Children is a leading independent organization creating lasting change for children in need around the world. With its headquarters in London, UK, SC works in over 120 countries globally, including Nigeria, helping children survive, learn and be protected by improving their education, health, nutrition, protection and economic opportunities, and in times of acute crisis, mobilizing rapid life-saving assistance to help children recover from the effects of war, conflict and natural disasters.
- Save the Children is implementing a WASH in Schools project across the two LGAs in Lagos State funded by the Latter-Day Saints Charities (LDSCs). This is a one-year initiative intended to continue our work with local communities, schools/learning centres. LGAs, States and Federal level stakeholders in providing conducive learning spaces for all girls and boys and children with disabilities (CwDs).
- The project will provide WASH facilities in schools for learners and teachers and improve awareness and participation of pupils and local community members in health and hygiene practices and effective use of WASH facilities in the target schools/learning centres.
- The Education Assistant will be responsible for the day-to-day implementation of the Education component of the WASH in schools project across the 2 LGAs. The Education Assistant will support all aspect of training of teachers using the WASH in school manual. The job holder will document lessons learnt, support assessments and monitoring and evaluation of the WASH in school activities and communicate results to the Project Manager. The job holder will also be working closely with key stakeholders at the State, LGAs, schools and Community level within the Education and WASH sector in Lagos, Nigeria.
- Under the guidance of the Project Manager, WASH Coordinator and WASH Officer, s/he will ensure that LDSCs WASH in schools project is implemented in a coordinated, harmonized, and aligned manner, in line with donor requirements and commitments. The Education Assistant will support the submission of timely and regular progress narrative and financial reports.
SCOPE OF ROLE:
Reports to: Program Manager
Budget Responsibilities: N/A
KEY AREAS OF ACCOUNTABILITY:
- Support the implementation of delegated portfolio of LDSCs WASH in schools Project in line with proposals, strategies and donor requirements, and ensure high technical quality.
- Support in ensuring that procurement and distribution of materials and equipment is timely and in line with SCI policies and procedures; ensure accuracy of portfolio inventory (assets, supplies, materials)
- Contribute to assessments (baseline, endline, needs, market).
- Collaborate with the WASH Officer to ensure accurate project documentation, including collection of monitoring data and tracking of progress on output indicators; utilize data to contribute to reports as requested by management.
- Facilitate relationships with communities and community leaders to ensure buy-in and Do No Harm
- Supervise and manage the teachers, including facilitation of training on WASH in school’s curriculum and hygiene promotion.
- Provide support to the formation and training of environmental health clubs in schools.
- Any other task relevant to the position as requested by the line manager.
Operational Planning and implementation
- Work closely with the WASH Officer to ensure planning of day-to-day implementation, update on implementation, monitoring, documentation and reporting for the WASH in schools project.
- Ensure timely implementation in line with the projects plans and budgets.
- Ensure that the WASH in schools project implementation are to the desired standards and on time.
- Maintain high standard of transparency and accountability during programme implementation while ensuring integrity and timeliness of activities implementation in meeting programme objectives, compliance with donors & Save the Children policies.
- Provision of regular operations and implementation updates on project progress and challenges to allow for timely interventions and corrective actions by management.
- Ensure safe programming in the planning, implementation, monitoring, and trainings, during the project period.
- Adhere to the Do no Harm principles across the entire steps within the Program Management Cycle.
Program and Financial Reporting.
- Contribute in the preparation of timely and high quality progress and end of projects narrative and financial reports which are in accordance to the donor reporting schedule and formats.
- participate in monthly follow ups and progress review meetings to address key performance issues from the reports.
Internal and external engagements
- Ensuring that the program experience is represented and given recognition at stakeholder meetings, workshops, donor, networks and any other engagements.
- Develop and maintain regular channels of communication with partners and key stakeholders at all levels (Community, LGEA and State).
- Effectively manage projects design and study processes which include assessments, baseline and evaluation studies, putting in place a functional Activity Tracking Table.
- Ensure that the projects quality benchmarks are followed.
- Collecting and managing complaints and feedback in close coordination with MEAL team and Projects Officers.
- Ensure regular monitoring of projects results, documentation of projects case studies, lessons learnt, significant changes and best practices and coordinating learning and reflection meetings/sessions.
- Ensure an effective programs/ projects monitoring and evaluation systems is in place.
- Monitor programs/ projects activities to ensure quality, timeliness and adherence to both Country Office and international Save the Children policies and procedures.
Human Resources Management and Development:
- Working together with the Project Manager, WASH Coordinator and WASH Officer to identify learning and development needs and develop specific plans to address the learning needs for his/her professional development and career growth.
- Participate in monthly/weekly project management meetings to share the progress of the project with the Project Manager, WASH Coordinator and WASH Officer and seek adequate support.
BEHAVIOURS (Values in Practice )
- holds self-accountable for making decisions, managing resources efficiently, achieving and role modelling Save the Children values
- holds the team and partners accountable to deliver on their responsibilities – giving them the freedom to deliver in the best way they see fit, providing the necessary development to improve performance and applying appropriate consequences when results are not achieved.
- sets ambitious and challenging goals for themselves and their team, takes responsibility for their own personal development and encourages their team to do the same
- widely shares their personal vision for Save the Children, engages and motivates others
- future orientated, thinks strategically and on a global scale.
- builds and maintains effective relationships, with their team, colleagues, Members and external partners and supporters
- values diversity, sees it as a source of competitive strength
- approachable, good listener, easy to talk to.
- develops and encourages new and innovative solutions
- willing to take disciplined risks.
- honest, encourages openness and transparency; demonstrates highest levels of integrity
- University degree or equivalent in Education, Social Science, Social Work, Psychology, or related fields.
EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS
- At least 2 years of accrued working experience in program implementation in an international NGO, national/local organization and those applying partnership approaches is desirable.
- Experience working in Lagos/Knowledge of the school system and education stakeholders.
- Experience with participatory approaches to education, WASH, or other related areas.
- Strong analytical skills and strategic planning abilities.
- Ability to establish and maintain conducive collegial relations and perform effectively as a member of a team.
- Willingness to travel and work in hard-to-reach areas, occasionally under strenuous conditions.
- Computer literacy and excellent documentation skills are a must.
- Availability and willingness to work extra hours during times of humanitarian responses.
- Highly developed cultural awareness and ability to work well in an international environment with people from diverse backgrounds and cultures
- Highly developed interpersonal and communication skills including influencing, negotiation and coaching
- Excellent time management and planning capacity.
- Fluent English language skills (written and verbal) and Local language skills (Yoruba).
How to Apply for this Offer
Interested and Qualified candidates should Click here to Apply Now
- Education / Teaching Jobs jobs
- Education Assistant – LDSC jobs