Job title : Consultant to Conduct Good Agricultural Practices Training to Identify Food Systems Actors jobs in Abuja
Job Location : Abuja
Deadline : March 20, 2023
Quick Recommended Links
USAID Advancing Nutrition is the Agency’s flagship multi-sectoral nutrition project, led by JSI Research & Training Institute, Inc. (JSI), and a diverse group of experienced partners. Launched in September 2018, USAID Advancing Nutrition implements nutrition interventions across sectors and disciplines for USAID and its partners. The project’s multi-sectoral approach draws together global nutrition experience to design, implement, and evaluate programs that address the root causes of malnutrition. Committed to using a systems approach, USAID Advancing Nutrition strives to sustain positive outcomes by building local capacity, supporting behavior change, and strengthening the enabling environment to save lives, improve health, build resilience, increase economic productivity, and advance development. In Nigeria, the project aims to meet the following objectives
B. Objectives of the Project
- Objective 1: Strengthen multi-sectoral linkages and coordination through technical assistance to the Government of Nigeria, the Mission, and implementing partners
- Objective 2: Support the Government of Nigeria to strengthen wasting prevention and treatment services
- Objective 3: Generate evidence and test innovative approaches to improve nutrition programming and inform future designs
In FY22, USAID Advancing Nutrition organized consultation workshops with various food systems actors across the implementing states to select priority value chain/food groups. Stakeholders identified issues related to capacity and technical know-how as some of the challenges hindering high production and productivity of Cowpea, Soybeans, Groundnut, OFSP, Millet, Rice, Maize and Dark Green Leafy Vegetables.
As part of the USAID Advancing Nutrition effort to strengthen the state level food systems activities, the project is seeking to contract competent and experienced facilitators to conduct these trainings in the selected states of Bauchi, Kebbi, and Sokoto. The objective of the training is to build and strengthen the capacity of the Agric Extension Agents, Women in Agriculture members, and lead farmers on good agricultural practices. The training will prepare the participants with requisite skills on land preparation, seeds/planting materials selection, planting, weeding, pest and disease control, harvesting and post-harvest handling/storage with special reference to the value chains of Cowpea, Soybeans, Groundnut, OFSP, Millet, Rice, quality protein maize, Dark Green Leafy Vegetables. These trainings will enable the participants to step down the training to other farmers within their catchment areas. Emphasis on Striga and its management/control, Agro-ecosystem analysis (AESA), farmer group formation, dynamics & management and elements of farming as a business.
C. Schedules and Deliverables
The contractor is responsible for the timely submission of the following deliverables:
- Desk review, develop and agenda and training package/slides
- Conduct trainings across Bauchi, Kebbi and Sokoto
- Write and submit activity reports to include pre-and-post test results of participants’ performance.
- The total LOE is approximately 30 days. All required deliverables and reports shall be submitted to the Technical Advisor, USAID Advancing Nutrition
D. Tentative Timeline
- The anticipated duration to complete this task is 30 LOE non-consecutive, between April 1 to May 31, 2023.
E. Ethical and Legal Matters
The ownership of the draft and final documentation belongs to the agency and the funding donor exclusively. The document, or publication related to it, will not be shared with anybody except USAID Advancing Nutrition has approved of it. USAID Advancing Nutrition is to be the main addressee of the report. USAID Advancing Nutrition is likely to share the training report with the following groups:
- Various coordination bodies
- Government stakeholders
For independent consultancies, the consultant must not have any links to project management or any other conflict of interest that would interfere with the independence of the activity.
F. Intellectual Property Right
- All documentation related to the assignment (whether or not in the course of duties) shall remain the sole and exclusive property of USAID Advancing Nutrition.
G. Consultant Qualifications
The consultant will have the following minimum qualifications:
- Minimum of a master’s degree in Agriculture, Agric-Economics, Agronomy, Crop Science.
- 10+ years of experience in agriculture, Value chain, food security and food systems programming
- High facilitation skills
- Experience in Food Security and agriculture-based programming will be an added advantage
- Extensive experience in conducting capacity building
- Experience in writing high-level reports.
- Proficient in English and the local language (written and oral).
- Have strong communication skills
- Strong personal discipline and capacity to respect deadlines, even if under pressure.
- The ability to work closely in a team, to be patient, adaptable and flexible.
- Relevant experience in similar work will be an added advantage.
Terms & Conditions
This is a local posting in Nigeria, and as such, is subject to local terms and conditions.
In the spirit of our founder and namesake, Helen Keller is dedicated to building an inclusive workforce where diversity is fully valued.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer where all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, disability, or protected veteran status.
We are committed to providing reasonable accommodation to individuals with disabilities. If you are a qualified individual with a disability and need to request an accommodation during the application or interview process, please contact us at the email above
How to Apply for this Offer
Interested and qualified candidates should forward their CV to: firstname.lastname@example.org using the position as subject of email.
- Consultancy jobs
- Consultant to Conduct Good Agricultural Practices Training to Identify Food Systems Actors jobs
- Salary Offer: *********