African Development Bank’s Career and Recruitment Offer
Job title : Chief Health Analyst, AHHD2
Job Location : Not specified
Deadline : June 28, 2021
Quick Recommended Links
Location: Abidjan, Cote d’ Ivoire
- The Vice Presidency for ‘Agriculture, Human, and Social Development’ is a Sector Complex focusing on the Bank’s Ten Year Strategy High 5s priorities of “Feed Africa” and “Improve Quality of Life for the People of Africa”. The complex objectives are (i) to develop policy and strategy; (ii) provide deep sector expertise to the Regions by gathering pools of experienced individuals who can be consulted to provide sector expertise on complex transactions; and (iii) develop new financing instruments.
- The Vice President will act as the spokesperson to represent the Bank with external stakeholders on aspects of “Feed Africa” and Improve Quality of Life for the People.
The Hiring Department / Division:
- The Human Capital, Youth and Skills Development Department, within the Agriculture, Human and Social Development Complex, spearheads the achievement of the High 5s on “Improving the Quality of Life of People in Africa” and contributes to the other High 5s.
- The Department has two divisions (i) Education, Human Capital and Employment Division, which focuses on scaling-up of Bank’s support to higher education and skills development; and (ii) Public Health, Social Protection and Nutrition Division, which focuses on strengthening health systems, social protection and nutrition for human wellbeing. The Department leads on the implementation of the Bank wide Jobs for Youth in Africa Strategy.
- The Public Health, Social Protection and Nutrition Division leads the development and promotion of the Bank’s policy and strategy work so that operations (both Sovereign Operations and Non-Sovereign Operations), which are identified, developed and executed by the Bank effectively implement the Bank’s relevant sector policies and strategies.
- The Division is currently leading the preparation of A Strategy for Quality Health Infrastructure in Africa. The Division provides technical guidance/advisory services and expertise to regional hubs by generating relevant knowledge and gathering a pool of experienced individuals who can be consulted to provide technical advice on complex transactions.
- The Division also fosters strategic partnerships with regional and global partners to leverage resources into the human capital development sectors. It also directly contributes to the work of the various initiatives and trust funds hosted under AHHD; and ensures coherence of the Bank’s action in public health, social protection and nutrition across regions.
- The Chief Health Analyst reports to the Manager of Public Health, Social Protection and Nutrition Division. The Chief Health Analyst will support the Bank’s health agenda with the following main responsibilities:
- Support African countries in achieving both the Sustainable Development Goal (SDG) 3 of ensuring healthy lives and promoting wellbeing for all, and the health aspiration of the African Union (AU) Agenda 2063.
- Support African countries in building solid infrastructure foundations for capable health systems.
- Strengthen health institutions and systems through capacity building programmes and other forms of support including support to infrastructure development and management; health information systems; the development of evidence-based policy frameworks and the use of information and communication technologies in health.
- Identify and lead the preparation and appraisal of both Sovereign Operations and Non Sovereign Operations in quality health infrastructure.
- Ensure that relevant colleagues at central and decentralized levels are continuously updated on emerging issues on health systems strengthening.
- Provide expertise to the Department and other relevant Bank’s departments.
- Initiate and lead knowledge work, technical and sectoral studies on the Bank’s health agenda.
- Provide documented strategic advice to Management.
- Contribute to the preparation of policies and strategies.
- Propose and plan health lending and technical assistance programmes for health sector development in the Regional Member Countries.
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the supervision of the Manager of Public Health, Social Protection and Nutrition Division, the Chief Health Analyst shall perform the following key functions:
- Advise member countries and other stakeholders on the Bank’s Strategy for Quality Health Infrastructure in Africa and the implementation of this strategy by:
- Analyzing health systems strengthening strategies of member countries, and developing innovative health infrastructure projects; and
- Initiating and maintaining a high-level dialogue with Regional Member Countries and other stakeholders involved in addressing health systems issues in Africa;
- Generate business and oversee implementation of both health infrastructure sovereign operations and non-sovereign operations across Africa;
- Provide support and guidance to Bank colleagues on health systems strengthening issues related to projects/programmes in their respective portfolio;
- Lead the identification, preparation and appraisal missions of the Bank’s operations in the health sector;
- Attract participation in public-private joint health infrastructure projects and enhance private sector financing of health infrastructure projects in Africa;
- Conduct technical studies and analysis on health systems in Regional Member Countries and propose ways to address identified issues;
- Provide support and guidance to Regional Member Countries on policy orientations to strengthen health systems and improve the utilization of resources in the health sector. This implies in particular strong emphasis on public-private collaboration in health;
- Contribute to generating and sharing knowledge on health systems strengthening;
- Contribute to fostering partnerships between the Bank and other bilateral/multilateral institutions involved in health development;
- Organise training and capacity building sessions on health systems strengthening for Bank staff and Regional Member Countries;
- Prepare notes and briefs for Bank Management, Bank staff and where appropriate, external audiences;
- Liaise, maintain dialogue and develop partnerships with other multilateral and bilateral institutions and coordinate co-financing needs and opportunities in the health sector ;
- Represent the Bank at relevant seminars, conferences and meetings related to the health sector;
- Contribute to the preparation of Country Strategy Papers and Portfolio Review reports,
- with particular emphasis on health sector development;
- Carry out other technical tasks and coordination as required by the Division Manager or other members of the Senior Management of the Bank.
- At least a Master’s degree in Public Health, Health Economics and/or relevant disciplines;
- A minimum of seven (7) years of relevant professional experience in multilateral development institutions or reputable development organizations;
- Strong research/analytical skills in health with ability to strategically and rapidly analyze and integrate diverse information from varied sources into conclusions and recommendations;
- Solid experience in project cycle management (identification, preparation, appraisal, supervision and completion);
- Ability to understand complex problems in health, social protection and human development and recommend innovative and pragmatic solutions;
- Strong understanding of multi-sectoral approaches and gaps in health and social protection;
- Demonstrable knowledge of analysis and formulation of policies and operations in health infrastructure;
- Deep understanding of health systems strengthening, including in particular acquaintance with infrastructure, health insurance and public-private collaboration issues;
- In-depth knowledge of health, political and development issues in Regional Member Countries;
- Knowledge of the practices of major bilateral and multilateral agencies and other development partners in health and development;
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English and/or French, with a working knowledge of the other language;
- Competence in the use of standard MS Office software (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Project). Knowledge of SAP would be an advantage.
How to Apply for this Offer
Interested and Qualified Candidates Should Click here