Job title : Associate, Africa
Job Location : Abuja
Deadline : December 03, 2023
Quick Recommended Links
- Luminate is seeking an experienced professional who is passionate about strengthening the civic space across the Africa region.
- The candidate will support the Africa team’s efforts across the region, with a specific focus on supporting organisations working in Kenya, Nigeria and South Africa.
- The ideal candidate would have lived and/or professional experience with those whom Luminate seeks to serve, including activists, journalists, human rights defenders, organisers and civic leaders, particularly those from underrepresented populations including women, racial and ethnic minorities, populations and youth.
- The Associate, Africa will be based in Abuja, Nigeria reporting to the VP, Africa based in Abuja, Nigeria.
- The Associate will be an integral member of the Africa regional program team.
- Successful candidates must be based in and have the right to work in Abuja, Nigeria. Competitive salary and benefits are offered.
Key responsibilities will include
- Helping a robust pipeline of future Luminate grants in Nigeria, Kenya and South Africa,
- Supporting the team and the existing partner organisations to monitor performance and maximise social impact
- Monitoring key issues associated with Luminate’s efforts in the region and contributing to Luminate’s Africa strategy.
- Within those key responsibilities, the individual in this role will be expected to focus on:
- Supporting funding package execution: develop the thesis behind opportunities we are considering, build and review funding models and prepare funding-related memoranda
- Scoping out Luminate opportunities that align with strategy
- Reviewing and analysing proposals, prioritising opportunities, performing landscape and ecosystem analysis, conducting reference calls, and managing diligence process
- Supporting execution of grants and contracts by taking shortlisted opportunities through a well-defined approval and funding process, including preparing all relevant documentation
- Alongside a peer cohort and the Senior Manager, Learning and Impact, the incumbent of the role will also provide operational support to their dedicated programme team to maximize impact:
- Build effective relationships with portfolio organisations to help assess their needs for support (for example strategy, coaching, organisational development, building networks) and help organisations access effective sources for that support
- Manage day to day Partner Support administration and general operating requirements including event planning, scheduling, producing RFPs and processing contracts
- Monitoring the performance of the team and of its partner organisations in the region by collecting and analysing data and reporting. This includes sharing that data and those stories internally and externally as appropriate
EXPERIENCE & SKILLS
- Note: we view this section as a guide, not a checklist. We encourage you to apply even if you don’t satisfy every single bullet on this list
- Several years of professional experience, preference for those in grant making roles or those who have been part of a non-profit organisation connected to Luminate’s mission
- Passion to make a difference in the online and offline civic and democracy space; good understanding of civil society and governance challenges across the region, and familiarity with key interventions that strengthen civic participation in democracy
- Deep strategic and analytical skills ability to evaluate proposed opportunities from multiple perspectives and have appreciation for analytical rigour and clarity
- Good communication skills. Excellent writing and presentation skills in English and ability to communicate succinctly and clearly
- Experience conducting advocacy work and engaging with policymakers, civil society, and other stakeholders is a plus
- Good interpersonal skills ability to work collaboratively with partners and colleagues around the world
- Flexibility to travel, including internationally
- University degree associated with Luminate’s impact areas is highly preferred. Master’s degree is a plus
How to Apply for this Offer
Interested and Qualified candidates should Click here to Apply Now
- Administrative / Management jobs
- Associate, Africa jobs